Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Silence and the Man with the Olive Arm

"People who have found true knowledge fall silent. If I were a philosopher I would stop painting; I'd do nothing at all. That would be the silence of Zen.The only thing to do is to carry on searching for the light: I haven't found it yet, and that's why I paint." - Antoni Tàpies , from Barbara Catoir's 'Conversations with Antoni Tàpies'.

In 1949 Nelson Algren wrote "The Man with The Golden Arm " , i currently feel like the man with the Olive Arm , fucking exhausted having relentlessly picked olives for days....silent in general (not the silence of Zen) and certainly not from finding true knowledge or quiescent under the leafy cool tranquility of an ancient olive tree as i would prefer to spend my afternoons ...or in a state of priapic bliss experienced under the pepper tree.....instead of constant blurred images of black olives when i close my eyes with the faint thunder of the brimstone steed in the distance. Perhaps i should add an inane NaNowrimo style counter here ....... 21,693 olives picked ... updating frequently and boring the shit out of any kind soul that reads here.

Tag:
Antoni Tàpies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home